Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Nazis Take My Kids

The night before last I had a dream about WWI and the Germans.  This is nothing new, but the format was a little different.  Here it goes:

My family and I were all living in Germany when the war began and my father and husband had gone to fight for the cause.  My mother moved in right next door to help out with the garage that Tate owned.  Since he was away, I was working in the garage fixing various things and my two daugthers (I am only 22 and have no children in real life), 15 and eight years old, were helping me, as well.  I don't know the daughters' names, but I can still remember what they looked like and how they were dressed. 

Anyway, we were all working in the garage when a bus full of kids pulled up.  My eight-year-old came up to me and slipped me a palm-sized grenade.  It was gold with one tiny button that would cause the device to explode as soon as the button was released. 

"Throw it under the bus," she said.  "They are coming to take us."

"I can't," I replied.  "There are innocent children in there."

She pleaded, "Mom, do it, please."  Just then, a tall, dark haired, well dressed man and equally attractive woman got out of the van and walked into the garage.

"Hi, ma'am," the well spoken man began, "we are going to take these two young ladies to college.  They will be safe and in a learning environment until the war is over."  I began grillling him with 21 questions about this "college" my children were going to be taken to.  He answered them all suredly, but I knew what was really going on.  He answered the questions with words, but he gave me so much more information with his eyes.  I knew that he was going to take my daughters no matter what I said, and I knew it could end up in a deadly struggle.  I wanted to spare my daughters although I knew it was not a college they were being taken to, but a concentration camp.

My 15-year-old took my hand and said, "It's okay, Mom.  We will just be gone a little while." and smiled at me with the most sincere, innocent gaze in her hazel eyes.  I hesitatingly loaded my daughters on the bus never revealing the truth of the destination of the ride and praying this was not the last time I'd see my everythings. 

I kissed both of my angels on the forehead and tears were rolling down my face as I instructed them to be good, do what the people told them and to always stay smart and strong.  I bit my lip and hugged myself tightly as I watched the bus drive away.  As the bus was rolling out of sight, I ran into my mother's house only a few steps away and collapsed in one huge sobbing heap on the floor as I mourned the nearly inevitable loss of my children.

Nuts, huh?  Try explaining that one to me!

0 comments:

Post a Comment